This fun and colorful Revolutionary War Activity offers 5 creative options: Chain Links Timeline, Long Timeline, Bulletin Board Display, “Name that Event” and Interactive Notebook Timeline.
Events of the American Revolution covered in this activity include: French and Indian War, 1st and 2nd Continental Congress, Stamp Act, Boston Massacre, Intolerable Acts, Boston Tea Party, Paul Revere’s Midnight Ride, Townshend Acts, Shot Heard Round the World, Crossing the Delaware and the Sugar Act.
Revolutionary War Option 1:
1. Make copies of the timeline pages for each student.
2. Have students research and write about the timeline events. This allows them the opportunity to summarize an event.
3. Color the pictures and numbers
4. Cut out the chain links and glue or tape them together in the correct order.
5. You could print copies for each student, cut the strips ahead of time and give 1-2 strips per student or have them work in groups to complete their research and write about the events. The last two options save paper.
1. Put the pre-filled events in order (for younger students)
2. Color the pictures and numbers
3. Cut out the chain links and glue or tape them together in the correct order.
4. You could print copies for each student, cut the strips ahead of time and give 1-2 strips per student or have them work in groups to complete their timeline.
Use the strips and glue them into an interactive notebook. Color the lettering and pictures for each event and write about the event underneath the strip in a notebook.
Option 4: (for the teacher)
Use the pre-colored strips and create a bulletin board display, either as a chain link or as a timeline of events display. Instead of links, you glue each piece together to make a long timeline display. I create a timeline on my classroom door.
Use the strips with a “blank” title. Have the students research the events and “name that event”. Then they can create a long timeline or chain links. You can do these in groups, as you teach the event or whatever works for you! A list of event names is included for you to print or display.