First, one way to encourage your students' inventive spirit is with Genius Hour or Passion Projects. To begin, Genius Hour starts with a question your students want to explore. This can be a group question or an independent project. The key is that the question needs to be something that requires in-depth research. It can't be answered with a simple Google search. Next, your students will research the question using online, text, and even in-person (i.e. experts) resources. Finally, the students will create something. This may be a presentation but it could also be something physical.
Here are some examples of Passion Projects that encourage students' inventive spirits!
- How do I build a robot?
- What are some gluten-free recipes I can make for my family?
- How do I raise money for the homeless?
- What are the steps to adopt a rescue dog?
- How can I start a recycling program in my school?
In history/social studies class, we talk so much about inventors of the past! What about the kid inventors that have made a difference? Here are some amazing inventors that made a difference before adulthood. Share their stories to inspire your students.
Read About Kid Inventors
inventors and inventions scavenger hunt shares fact about the following inventors:
- Alexander Graham Bell
- George Washington Carver
- Thomas Edison
- Louis Pasteur
- Henry Ford
- Benjamin Franklin
- Robert Fulton
- Johannes Gutenberg
- Eli Whitney
- the Wright Brothers
- Inventors and Inventions Fact Cards (10) to hang around the room. Each Fact Card contains a small reading passage, title and a picture.
- ELA Task Cards (8) for reading and comprehension skills
- Math Task Cards (4) using basic addition and subtraction
- Timeline Task Cards (4) to reinforce text features and reading a timeline
- Writing Task Cards (2) with open-ended, creative prompts
- Drawing Task Cards (2) focusing on reading comprehension through visualization
- Recording Sheets (2) including questions or a blank option
- Teacher Answer Key
- Blank Task Cards (4)
Find Escape Room Inspiration With Think Tank
Check out some of our Categories!
♦Astronomy ♦Back to School ♦Black History ♦Character Education ♦Civics ♦Digital Escape Rooms ♦Earth Sciences ♦Environment ♦Geography ♦Government ♦Growth Mindset ♦History ♦Holiday ♦Presidents ♦Revolutionary War ♦Science ♦Social Studies ♦Spring ♦U.S. History ♦Westward Expansion ♦Women in History ♦World History